Meeting Minutes of March 2021

 AVAD 21-03

 

Minutes of March 15th, 2021

 

Minutes from Board meeting on March 15, 2021

Attendees: Andra Dalton, Tom Kainz, David Craft, Dave Van Nattan, guest Kenny Owens, Mark Rowland. Absent due to sickness Nicole Lewis.

Meeting called to order by Andra at 1813.

 

Minutes were presented, reviewed, no corrections. Motion was made by Tom, seconded by Andra, voted 4/0 to accept.

Treasurers Report. Tom reviewed report to Board. February’s balance for checking $57,551.38 received from billing $3395.99. Today’s balance is $57,548.17. Expenses were $6,376 for insurance and $2,959.70 for CRS. Total of all accounts is $260,225.

The Application for Omission from Audit was presented, Board members then signed the form. Motion was made to accept report by Andra, seconded by Dave, voted to accept 4/0. 

Upcoming events: the Ambulance is being reviewed for relicensing, Sara is handling the supplies and Andra controlling the Drugs.

Training is scheduled for April 13.

COVID vaccinations are still on hold.

Training and retention: ground work is almost complete on AED/CPR training. Notices for date of training will be placed on Facebook, in the Blast and at Post Offices.

Nicole is working on an Easter Surprise for volunteer appreciation.

EMT trading possible in the fall, to be checked by Andra.

Volunteer shifts were discussed. Request have been made to have the shifts only six hours instead of twelve. This would enable volunteers to sign up for half a day, perhaps leading to more coverage on other days. Board was in favor of trying six hours shifts for a few months. A draft needs to be made explaining the new system and notifying volunteers of the new six hour shift (Andra).

In connection to shifts it was recommended we start a phone call tree and have our Admin Assistant work on filling shifts.

A “Travel Volunteer Brochure” was discussed. The jest of it is to entice EMTs from other areas to volunteer for our shifts, being compensated by room and board, meal expense, and an opportunity to enjoy this area on their off time. An EMT can come, stay and play.

 No policy or risk management at this time.

 Billing and Medicare expenses. Mark questioned us about a local case involving a long time resident being transported to Hospice in Salida. It’s felt that there needs to be a charge for this but just what? It is a bad time for the family and they really don’t need the usual bill of $1200-1300. Discussion followed and the Board decided that a “Hospice Transport Charge” be added to our charges at a cost of $300. This would also apply as a “Non-attended Death Charge” also at $300. Business Ops will be notified of this addition.

 Land update: still working on areas in Coaldale. A new location we are looking at is Hamilton Creek Road at CR 45.

 Ambulance Director Report: Mark informed us that Active 911 is still not working. Active 911 has been notified of the problem by both Mark and Tom, corrections are to be made soon.

Scheduling is not where it needs to be but hopefully the six hour shifts may help.

Mark notified the Board that he will be leaving in the summer.

Dear Mountain has been notified we are NOT an automatic answering service or responders to their calls.

 Ram Rod update (AVA). AVA will dissolve in April. AVA can not give AVAD the remaining balance of their accounts. RamRod is a 501c3 and their fund must be given to another 501c3 group. Discussion followed and the members of the Board feel that those fund should be given to Howard Volunteer Fire Department. In the past HVFD carried AVA through some rough times, that help enabled AVA to survive.

 No public comment.

 Meeting adjourned at 2011 hours.

 

Respectfully submitted

Dave Van Nattan

 

 

 

 

 

 

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

    Meeting Minutes of October 2019

    AVAD 19-10

    Minutes of October 20, 2019

     

    Arkansas Valley Ambulance District Board Meeting, October 20, 2019
    Attendance: Nicole Lewis, Tom Kainz, Andra Dalton, Dave Van Nattan,  Dave Craft

    Guest(s): Mark Rowland

    Meeting called to order at 18:05

    • Minutes presented and motion made to accept by Tom, seconded by Andra, voted 5/0.
    • Resolutions will be available in OneNote, motion by Tom, seconded by Andra, vote 5/0.

    Treasures report presented

    • Last months expenses were for Med1 $1848.88, and supplies for $4188.28.
    • Full balance is $153,905.48, reserves of $54300.46, fund available $99,599.02.
    • CRS will be doing our financial reporting soon on a month to month basis.
    • Student Mike Scott has dropped class and will be billed for half of the class as per student agreement.
    • Budget review is due Dec 15.

    Ambulance Director Report:

    • Mark feels budget considerations for volunteer incentives and recruit retentions needs to be included in the budget. We should also reimburse the cost of testing for students ($80-90 each), up to three tries.
    • Our state grants are set up where we pay for the expense then get reimbursed 90% which is paid in about three weeks. Next years grant starts Dec 15 and closes Feb 15. Need to watch for what we ask for, if we ask for a financial weaver of 50% and get turned down we must wait another year to reapply. To rechassie an ambulance would cost $100-150K, vs a new ambulance?
    • We have two new Colorado certified EMTs, Shara and Michele.
    • A2 rear spring has been fixed and is all ready to go and Mark will be moving it to his location.
    • Cost to do that will be a reimbursement for electrical supply to the ambulance (approx $65+ per month).
    • We have a work session with EMTs and drivers coming up. Volunteers will be given our plans for volunteers.

    General Discussion

    • “Trunk or Treat”
      • Nicole advises us of the “Trunk or Treat” event at HVFD and requested help with that event. Plan is to decorated A2 and give out treats to kid. Banner and gifts will be made available also.
    • Policy and procedures
      • Still being worked on by Nicole and Andra. They will present the findings to the board soon. 
    • Status of housing A2 in Coaldale
      • Nicole is working with Big Horn for a temp location. 
    • Trading and retention
      • We had one drop out from college, and the college will bill him directly. Nicole will review our contract with Dan Slater concerning mileage reimbursements.
    • Uniforms
      • At the Nov 13 volunteer meeting we will gather information on who will have uniforms and which company we will use to purchase from.
    • Volunteer recognition
      • A small dinner will be provided. Compensation for volunteers will be a $500 sign on stipend (shifts required), uniform allowances, certification and similar reimbursements, party prize drawings based on quarterly performance were discussed, radios for active volunteers. 
    • Patient Billing
      • We now bill Medicare thru Business Options. 
    • Technology
      • Laptops will be ordered by Tom for A1 and A2. 
    • AVA update
      • Waiting on completing 990s, once resolved they will disband, forwarding or transferring remaining assets to AVAD. 

    Budget discussion

    • Modifies corrections
      • Community outreach was $1500 increase to $4500
      • Facility reimbursement was $1200 increase to $3600
      • Insurance workman comp was $6000 increase to $7000
      • Uniforms was $2000 increase to $10,000
      • Training continuing education (new) $20,000
      • Training devices
        • books was $2000 increase to $3000
        • Training equipment was $1000 increase to $2000
      • Ambulance computers was $2000 increases to $3000
      • Ambulance Maintance was $3000 increases to $6000
      • Vehicles (new) $35,000
      • Grant matching (new) $6000
      • Medical devices (new) $6000
      • Nicole is to contact CPS to see how this will work and affect our proposed budget.

     Adjourned 22:05

    Next schedules Board Meeting Nov 18, 2019

      November 13 Volunteer Meeting

      AVAD will conducting a volunteer appreciation and information meeting.  We will be meeting at Howard Hall on Wednesday November 13th at 1800.   Brats, snacks, drinks and sweets will be available for you to eat. We will be updating our records as well as going over scheduling, uniforms and our new volunteer benefit package.   Now that we are a district we are able to offer some great perks to our volunteers who offer their  time and efforts to serving their community and assisting AVAD.   Please bring the following items:

         EMT’s/Drivers

        *   License number and expiration (EMT’s)

        *   Drivers License

        *   BLS/ACLS or other certification cards

      Thank you all for your continued service to AVAD. We are still learning and growing so please let us know how we can improve as well as make sure you have the tools you need to be an active volunteer.

      If you are on the fence about volunteering please start thinking about what your barriers might be and ways we could maybe help. Also we will be teaching an EMT course in Howard starting in January. If you know of anyone who may be interested or if you are a driver who may be interested please let us know. 

      Thank you, 

      Arkansas Valley Board of Directors

      Open Board Position

      Our friend and neighbor Jordan Clewell whom has been a tremendous help with getting our new district to the place we are today will be relinquishing his seat on the board. There are 18 months (ish) left to Jordan’s elected term which the board can fill by appointment. Interested persons may submit their contact information to the board via email at “operations@avad.care“.

      The volunteer position would require attendance at monthly meetings and appropriate time as needed to play an important roll in the day to day oversight of the ambulance district. The time you can spend and the decisions you help make will be critical in keeping necessary emergency services at the high level needed to respond to our community of friends and neighbors.